homestead - Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Living the good life on 5000 a year
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 08:01:45 -0700

On Nov 25, 2008, at 7:04 AM, Tim Oppenheim wrote:

http://www.alternet.org/environment/108461/living_the_good_life_on_%245%2C000_a_year/

Merkel decided not only to quit the business of war but also to stop paying
federal tax dollars that could fund government weapons. To do so, he aimed
to live on an annual income less than the U.S. taxable level of $5,000.

Thanks, Tim. From that article I followed a reference to The Global Living Project

http://radicalsimplicity.org/

and there found this:

"What we have discovered so far, is that sustainable lives must be nurturing, thrilling and fun. And, examples are more inspiring than theory or theology. Put plainly, most would rather see a sermon than hear one.?"

This correlates with my take on diet, exercise and simple living. A healthful diet must also be delicious or it will not be followed. Exercise must be enjoyable or it will be abandoned. And simple living must be uplifting or it will be felt onerous and abandoned.

We homesteaders get all three as a big bonus package for our chosen lifestyle. Our gardens feed us better food than a millionaire's cook can buy; our daily lives gives us healthful exercise; and our entire homesteading adventures give us something to do and something to look forward to. The only addition needed for the fully-lived life is love.