homestead - Re: [Homestead] mystery herb

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] mystery herb
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:46:39 -0700

30 top selling medicinal plant species in the United States, in order of
importance related to annual sales:

Echinacea
St. John’s Wort
Ginkgo biloba
Garlic

Keith, if I were considering producing and selling herbs I would also check sales volume comparing medicinal versus culinary herbs. Most interesting that garlic is both, but too much competition there. Then consider growing challenges. Marketing is always the toughest part. Unless you sell direct you have to give a big discount to someone who may or may not sell all you produce.

Herbalist author and photographer friend, Steven Foster, has been very high on echinacea for as long as I have known him.

http://www.stevenfoster.com/education/monograph/echinacea.html

Go for value-added. Maybe something seasonal, in pretty little pots.