homestead - Re: [Homestead] mystery herb

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] mystery herb
  • Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:23:56 -0500

I am very lucky with rosemary. I can't kill it, and my plants get huge
by anyone's standards. I had one in a 20" pot for two years sitting in
my Japanese niche garden. I started it from seed maybe 6 years ago. I
went to move it a few months ago and the plants' taproot had found the
drainhole and was so large that it was blocking the hole. I was finally
able to pull up the pot and plant and the 2 foot long taproot that was
outside of the pot. It took a while, but we finally were able to free
the rosemary without breaking the pot.
Ok, by this time, I'm tired and I just toss the plant next to the
greenhouse door(no pot, dry soil on the roots) and go inside for break.
I forgot about that plant for two days. On day three, I dug a big
honkin hole in the garden next to my little freecyled plastic garden
frog pond and stuck the rosemary in the ground. I cut off about twenty
sprigs and stuck them in my 'nursery bed' at that time. I cut off about
4o more sprigs and gave them to two of my friends. In the garden, after
'pruning' the thing is over 3 feet tall and 3 feet in diameter. It is
now blooming again. So are the sprigs. We will see how they survive
the winter.
Yup, I think Rosemary would be a good choice. Make satchets, oil,
soaps, marinades, and sell that, too.

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:
For months I've been trying to find an herb or other plant that
could provide a little income or barter potential once the
greenhouse is finished. I've put heavy thought into salvia d.

Many people lose their rosemary plants during the winter. Even those
who keep them in pots and take them in for the winter kill them with
the wrong amount of water or sunlight. Might check with outlets in
your area and see if there is a market. _______________________________________________ Homestead list and
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead