homestead - Re: [Homestead] mystery herb

  • From: "Wendy" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] mystery herb
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 07:32:35 -0500

Nope. Not mullein. I have it out the wazoo here. My vote is on borage.

Wendy

Danggit...
The more I look at it now, the more I think it looks like mullein.
Jeez, mullein, borage, borage, mullein, borage, mullein..
The thing is, I don't remember being able to see that many veins on
mullein from the topside...With mullein, which does grow in a rosette
kind of like your picture my first impression is not the venous
structure, it is the fuzz..
Nope, I'm back to borage. :)

EarthNSky wrote:
I grow borage as a companion for tomatoes. It's about 3-5 ft tall,
purple flowers, fuzzy,you can candy the flowers-very good, pretty
little things. Ah, the page finally loaded. Keith, borage usually
grows in the summer with tomatoes and peppers. It could be borage,
but why would it still be so small this late in the year? It is not
lambs ears, so my other fuzzy leaved ideas are mullein and borage..
Mullein leaves are usually whiter-more gray-green than that, but on
the other hand, I don't recall a small borage plant having leaves
that large, nevertheless, I'm going with borage.

Bev

keith bellinger wrote:
I just brought in a plant from the garden that I thought was
mullein (doesn't look like the one in Bev's (?) post but might be
borage or even some weed that found its way into the herb bed.
Anybody care to take a peak and give a guess?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25847493@N06/3020152386/

- Release Date: 11/7/2008 7:58 PM

hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda