homestead - Re: [Homestead] Home brew book

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Home brew book
  • Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 12:37:59 EST

> >Let's go completely berserk and try to make a really superb beer. I
> mean, if I am going to take the time and make the effort, I want a
> fine reward.

I didn't mean to initmate that this was an inferior bathtub beer because the
subsistence brewer could do no better. This is top of the line. Now, the
first time you try it, the reaction is bound to be "Eh ... this is ....
different." It is. It tastes, what are the odds, of barley. By the second
bottle it
grows on you. Then even the best of the best craft beers, as good as they
are and no mistake, somehow fall short. It's like really good homemade
icecream
compared to HagenDaz or Ben&Jerry's. They are good, but real Jersey cream
just skimmed and sun ripened strawberries just from the patch ..... nolo
contendre!

> >I presume that is dry barley weight?

Yes, dry weight.

> >So this is a measure that must be learned through experience. Start
> with 50-50 brown to black?

Much less of the black. The black is powerful stuff flavor-wise. 15% black
malt will give beer darker than Guiness.

> >Do you use distilled water?

No, use spring water. The water needs to be very 'hard'. If it is not, add
minerals. Those are available at the brewing store or you can add a little
'terra alba' (food grade gypsum) or epsom salts. Spring water is by far the
best.

> >What is the effect as the warmth time is extended?

Almost all the convertable starches will extracted within 20 mintues. Loger
mashing times produce dextrins and other longer chain starches. This is
desireable as it gives the beer a very fine body, but you don't want to over
do it.

> >Do you sterilize your various vessels and utensils?

Yes, but I don't obsess over it. The very best beers in the world have
bacteria in them. It's what makes the unique flavor to many of them. If I
were
going to lager the beer for a long time, I'd be meticulous as the beer will
spoil if it is not nearly sterile at the time of pitching. Boiling water and
little chlorine bleach is used on all and sundry and then some care taken to
avoid touching anything in the process.

> >What means "pitch the yeast?"

A brewer jargon for "throw". Sometimes the yeast needs to bloom in a vessel
before being pitched. Most of the time it needs to be pitched dry and
allowed
to waterlog and sink of its own accord. And of course the wort cannot be
above about 85 degrees or it bids fair to kill the yeast. "Pitch" basically
means
take all these things into consideration and thow the yeast onto the wort.