homestead - [Homestead] Homestead partners

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Homestead partners
  • Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:11:27 -0600

James, I would agree.

I remember when I was looking for a life partner. I could say husband, except I was looking for someone who would share equally in this lifestyle I'd already embraced. I remember one fellow I was dating who in exasperation (after helping with some onerous chore) yelled "you need a ranch hand, not a husband!" I calmly told him I was looking for both, and gave him the boot.

For those who are single and looking, Green Singles is an affordable service that connects people like us. This is how my husband and I connected.

We know a couple where the wife was into homesteading (in fact, she was running a CSA) and the husband maintained a house in a big city where he could play tennis, go to movies, etc. and just came out on weekends. They had been married over 30 years and their children were already grown. They maintained this lifestyle for about a decade. But the farm was not financially successful and is in the process of being sold. The woman is very torn up about it, as it was her dream. Her husband had been financially supportive of the farm, but he had no real interest in it. I heard they are looking for a smaller rural place in between two major cities that will be some kind of compromise.

I think back to the sitcom "Green Acres" where Gabor is pulled from her Manhattan life into Hootersville so her husband can farm, but she actually ends up fitting in better than he does. This is, of course, a made up story.

--Sage

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:49:14 EDT
Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

> On the other hand, my wife is a typical middle age woman who likes to socialize with middle age women

Guys, educate me on this. I have never known of a couple who went into homesteading where one was a devotee and the other indulged it for the sake of the relationship that did not end badly. Either the people split up or else they return to the urban life with the ex-homesteader miserable.

Know anyone?