homestead - Re: [Homestead] Music

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Music
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 20:40:46 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 10/25/08, eureka AT hctc.net <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

> From: eureka AT hctc.net <eureka AT hctc.net>
> Subject: Re: [Homestead] Music
> To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
> Date: Saturday, October 25, 2008, 3:43 PM
> No, I thought Gene was the owner of the list. Hi Lee, I
> hope you come out of hiding!
>
> I'm a better teacher than a player (isn't that the
> way it
> always goes?). I have a 14 year old student that started
> with me 1-1/2 years ago whose talent is mindboggling. He
> is playing college level classical pieces as well as some
> heavy duty rock and roll with equal fluidity. It keeps me
> on my toes and introduces me to newer music. I encourage
> kids in whatever genre they like, but do require a
> classical foundation. We work on both simulatanously so
> they don't get bored. They end up with multiple
> guitars.
> This one knows notation and tablature, and is now learning
> how to arrange for the guitar and to transpose into
> different keys.
>
> Ray, I think what you are working towards is fantastic. My
> husband always says the kids in band make better academic
> grades than those who aren't. The child I am
> referencing
> above is academically an excellent student, and does well
> in film making and hang gliding hobbies, too. I would love
> to see charter schools based on arts and nature spring up.
>
> --Sage

Arizona has done quite a bit with charter schools. One of the better ones
"Arizona School for the Arts" rented classrooms in a church I was involved
with. That was one of the better schools in part because the directors
philosphy was that most would not have a chance to make a living in the arts
so he insisted that everyone get a good grounding in acadimic fundimentals..
One advantage do this is that lots of young people feel out of place but put
them in an arts setting they feel comfortable and realize there is an
incentive to work
Van dell