homestead - Re: [Homestead] was Powell endorsement--Palin

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] was Powell endorsement--Palin
  • Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:46:12 -0500

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 7:29 PM, bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> James , a while back, said something that I liked. he said thaat she is
> the only one, in the bunch, who has had to get her hands dirty, just to
> feed her family and make a living. I like that about her.

I'd like it if I were convinced it were true, but as I've seen more of
her, I'm not so sure that she's more than a Wasilla PTA mom with
ambition. I mean, do we know that she ever shot or field dressed a
moose? She and Todd have a far higher net worth than the average
person (hey! they have a positive net worth), something around or
somewhat above a million dollars, IIRC. She didn't get there with
subsistence living.

> And, the fact that she is basically from a blue-collar background, doesn't
> show that she isn't intelligent. It just shows that she was born of modeat
> means and worked hard to make somwething of herself. I think she is to be
> admired. Bill Clinton said that she should not be "underestimated"

Blue collar? Her parents are teachers, which the last I checked, is
not blue collar.

> Clinton and Obama got to where they got with scholarships, programs,
> grants, friends pulling strings. She didn't have any of that. I respect
> her gumption.

Have you got any specific sources for that?

> Perhaps she hasn't read Goethe or Joyce and doen't read the poetry in
> 'Ploughshares. So what. I think once this election is over, and she can
> be free to be herself, she will be a formidable player in conservative
> politics.

I haven't read Goethe to any extent, and I've been taking up Ulysses
for years and not being able to get into it.I think one can navigate
modern life without those (though everything is useful in adding
breadth and depth to a person's understand.

> If she were actually running for president, I'd be more hesitant. But she
> is smart enough to learn enough during her tenure as vice president. Do
> you think the intellectual curiosity of LBJ went beyond Zane Grey?

What if she ends up president in a month or two?

> It is funny that most men seem to see her as an intelligent, poised,
> ambitious, public servant; and some women see her entirely differently
> ....bobford
I think most men see her as hot, and then call it something else.

Marie