homestead - Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Black Walnuts
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:28:22 EDT

> Dumb question #1 What is the difference, planting wise and taste wise,
> of the seed husk being green vs. black?

The walnut husks almost never turn black on the tree. They fall off green
and then turn black. The walnut must cure and dry out some before it can be
easily ('easily' being a relative term here) shelled. One way is to put on
old
boots and stomp the walnuts to loosen them from the husks. Exposed to air
they will turn black in a few hours. Put them somewhere they can dry for
several
days to several weeks before trying to shell them. Until they are fairly
dry, you cannot allow them to freeze.

Any green from the husks you get on your clothes, shoes, or skin will turn
black and is just like permanent ink.

>> Dumb question #2 What kind of germination should I expect if I just put
> some green seeds in a hole 2 inches deep?

Ignore whether they are green or black, it's meaningless. Some blackones are
immature and will not germinate, most green ones will be quite mature and
germinate eaily. A better guide is if the nut feels dense and heavy.

2" is fine, deeper is fine, shallower is fine. Germination of top notch
viable nuts will be high, but the percent of really good nuts from any tree
will
be low. In the wild windfall nuts rarely germinate. Squirrels bury caches
of
them in the ground and one or two of those will germinate.

> >Dumb questin #3 I know to wear gloves and old clothes..can I use the
> discarded husks around the foundation of the house without the juglone
> adversely affecting my foundation plantings?

The husks are good source of dye. But otherwise I'd put them in compost I
planned on using 20 years from now.

> >Dumb question #4 How long will it take for a seedling to become a 10'
> >tree?

Three years or less. Young walnut trees grow very fast.

Examine the cured walut carefully. Note the seam betweent he two halves and
that one end of the nut is pointy. Hold the nut point down and lighly tap
the blunt end just hard enough to hear the nut crack a bit. You don't want
break it, just loosen the seam. Then turn the walnut on it's side 90 degrees
from the seam, that is, the seam is going to be horizontal. Hit the nut hard
enough to break the shell, but not shatter the nut. Turn the nut 180 degrees
and do the same with the other side. If you are skillful at this, the very
hard shell comes off in four pieces and the nut meat is nearly intact.

James<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest Local shows what's happening
at your
destination. Dining, Movies, Events, News &amp; more. Try it out
(http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>