homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 23:48:09 -0800

Depends, Rob. Do you want a single purpose animal or a multi-purpose animal? How much space do you have? What type of space are you going to plow? AND, most important, how much experience do *you* have with horses?

If you have some experience, get a Premarin baby and raise it up to do what you want. Most of them are 1/2 - 3/4 draft of some breed or another. And a lot of them are given away.

If you aren't terribly horse savey, then find a nice middle-aged critter that already has all the schooling it's going to need.

A mule can be a problem because, unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, they are quite frequently smarter than the people who own them <g>

And remember, they are herd animals. They aren't happy if they don't have a friend. Doesn't necessarily have to be equine but it has to be "somebody" they like.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

I've thought of a mule, probably more hardy and of the little I know
of them probably the best bet. The one thing I don't like about a mule
is that they can't make me another mule. I like to think that I could
make a replacement.

I agree about breeds, just was wondering if there is much difference
between them, so that when one does come up, I know what I don't want.
You say you plow with one Belgian. Can he plow in heavy sod?

I guess how much horse do I need is more what I'm asking. I think it's
going to be like my tractor. More power than I generally need is
better. Especially with what you say about keeping a large horse vs a
small horse, sounds like a bit larger might be better.

Rob - Va