homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 11:45:48 EDT

> >A mammoth donkey jack would be a good addition to the place IMO,
> especially to be paired with a draft mare.

That can technically be done, but keep in mind that the tack for a horse is
not the same as the tack for a donkey. A horse works best with a collar and
donkey's work best with a breast piece. In fact, collars are no good at all
for
donkeys, they are shaped that differenly from horses. Coordianting the tugs
of both at the same time would be dicey.

At the last draft hores auction here (Abingon, Va) most mules went for $1500
to $3000 each. One of the most personable mammoth jacks I ever came across,
fully broken, went for $300. Several others went for $450 to $600. But
alas,
it was a ghastly drought year with no pature and no hay to be had at any
price. Maybe this year, the auction is in two
weeks.<BR><BR><BR>**************<BR>New MapQuest
Local shows what's happening at your destination. Dining, Movies, Events,
News &amp;
more. Try it out (http://local.mapquest.com/?ncid=emlcntnew00000002)</HTML>