homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 22:34:56 -0400

I can speak to temperament and general upkeep but not tow capacity.

I have always been partial to Belgians, and their mini-me's, the Halflinger. I've had good experiences with Cleveland Bays, and some very very nice half draughts, mostly TB/Clydesdales.

The thing is, you really don't need something that's papered, so I wouldn't get hung up on a specific breed. It's all about the individual's attitude. Right now, it appears spotted draughts are the "in" thing. Bluck.

A really good place to start might be the Virginia Draft Horse Club... http://www.vdhma.org/
If they have an auction of anything coming up, it can be a real education just to sit there and watch, particularly if it's a good sale, where the Amish and Mennonites are buying and selling actual WORK horses.

In general, the bigger they are, the more generous. Squirrelly little beasts can really be a pain in the bottom. Horses get Napolean complexes, just like people. ; )

I have a dealer just south of Orange that I'd trust to do the right thing by you, if you'd like to ring her up. She's not fancy or fru fru, I promise. She's good people. (But, like me, she doesn't specialize in draughts or farm work horses, she does field hunters and pleasure horses mostly. )

Celia