homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 06:50:03 -0400

> In every farming community I've lived in where either horses or mules
> were actually working critters, this tended to be a function of
> community.....

Getting a draft mare might be the best way of doing that. Also,
getting more into the horsey world around here, I might find someone
breeding mules. Sometimes this area surprises me.

> And James' idea to check out Mammoth donkeys is a good one. Several
> folks in this area are using them; they are good workers and said to be
> "almost as easy as mules", although in that conversation I didn't have
> time to check out exactly what was meant by that statement, but it was
> made by a guy 80+ who has used mules all his life, still has a beautiful
> 8 mule hitch that he works in addition to other assorted 4 legged workers.

A mammoth donkey jack would be a good addition to the place IMO,
especially to be paired with a draft mare.

Horses capable of doing heavy draft work might be a commodity that is
in more demand in the future, especially if the economic problems
stick around. There was an upsurge in use of draft horses in the
1930s. I've got extra pasture space and am looking to fill it with
stock that could help me out and whose offspring might be in demand.

Rob - Va