homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 10:17:20 -0800

Some lines of Arabs have been trend bred and are worthless but that can be said about almost all light and warm-bloods.

The problem with Arabs are they are smarter than most people that own them.

The Polish look like Thoroughbreds, the *American* bred Egyptians have been ruined. The old Egyptians AND the ones that are imported are still a thing of beauty.

On average, the problem with most Arabs is the people that own them. I guess you could put them in with pitbulls. A whole bunch of folks shouldn't own them!

We sold a mare to a woman with a genetic spinal problem which results in very little balance. Her and Kazzy would go down the road looking like a couple of drunks as the mare would literally walk under her and as the woman would start to tilt, the mare would move to keep her in the saddle.

Our stallion was abused before we got him. Weighed less than 600 pounds. If anyone had an excuse to be nasty, he did. He was the kindest animal once we got him and he'd stand patiently picking little strands of grass out of our daughters rather muddy hand. AND, heaven help anyone or thing that tried to come near her.

Now, what I wouldn't give a kid is the average Shetland or mutt pony! Now, those are dangerous!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

I just read the rest of the posts in this thread and I would just like
to say that a really good Arab is worth it's weight in gold. They are
just rarer than hen's teeth. What passes for an Arab today is a man-
made monstrosity, but not so long ago, they were beautiful, smart,
hardy, smart, easily kept, and smart. There are some good old
fashioned ones still out there, but...not many.

My first pony, and my oldest's too...(same pony) was an Arab. He kept
both of us, and a lot of other kids in between times, happy and safe,
when I was so stupid as a kid, I really ought to have been killed by
him.

He was Polish. The Egyptian ones...oh my god. They don't even look
like real horses anymore.