homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses
  • Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 06:38:40 -0400

> The thing is, you really don't need something that's papered, so I
> wouldn't get hung up on a specific breed. It's all about the
> individual's attitude. Right now, it appears spotted draughts are the
> "in" thing. Bluck.

Right, the "in" thing is not going to be something I can afford.
Papers are not something I want.

> A really good place to start might be the Virginia Draft Horse
> Club... http://www.vdhma.org/
> If they have an auction of anything coming up, it can be a real
> education just to sit there and watch, particularly if it's a good
> sale, where the Amish and Mennonites are buying and selling actual
> WORK horses.

Thanks, that is what I needed. I'm checking out that sight and it
should get me in touch with some people. Actual work horses sounds
good.

> I have a dealer just south of Orange that I'd trust to do the right
> thing by you, if you'd like to ring her up. She's not fancy or fru
> fru, I promise. She's good people.

Send me her information, I'm loosely putting word out.

Rob - Va