homestead - Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Draft Horses
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:27:20 -0400

> Also don't limit your possibilities to horses. Mules are generally more
> expensive but donkeys, especially Mammoths, are less expensive than horses
> and are
> wonderful and flexible draft animals.

I've thought of a mule, probably more hardy and of the little I know
of them probably the best bet. The one thing I don't like about a mule
is that they can't make me another mule. I like to think that I could
make a replacement.

> If you've got a deep purse, have fun mulling over breeds. If you haven't,
> keep your eyes open for whatever. Any horse is a potential draft animal.

I agree about breeds, just was wondering if there is much difference
between them, so that when one does come up, I know what I don't want.
You say you plow with one Belgian. Can he plow in heavy sod?

I guess how much horse do I need is more what I'm asking. I think it's
going to be like my tractor. More power than I generally need is
better. Especially with what you say about keeping a large horse vs a
small horse, sounds like a bit larger might be better.

Rob - Va