homestead - Re: [Homestead] Plant life ethics --for real

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Plant life ethics --for real
  • Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 11:33:40 -0400

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=772
That page/board talks a bit about the study.

I think, on this topic, we have to be very careful about assigning human terms like 'scream' to a plant or even some animals. An accoustical instrument must be able to record the sound and just because it sounds like a scream to our ears, doesn't mean it is a scream. We often assume scream means fear or pain, but maybe not, so we have to be very careful...I can scream across the pasture at my neighbor on his tractor to communicate with him, but that doesn't mean I have fear or pain. I could also scream with joy or surprise...
Anyway here are some additional stories on the weird and wonderful complexity of plants...

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6160709

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_perception
(read down to the paragraph that begins "the notion that"..grrr)

http://www.primaryperception.com/bio/
some links and blogs there

For those who want more indepth analysis:
The JBC
http://www.jbiocommunication.org/

I saw several references to what you were talking about as far as plants reacting to an adjacent plants 'murder' and to the 'murderer' but none listed a source. Sorry.. perhaps someone else will find it.

Bev

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan