homestead - Re: [Homestead] Assorted things

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Assorted things
  • Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 12:49:59 -0800

Sort of. Iran is a theocracy. HOWEVER, they have a significant Jewish population who live quite happily within their borders. Their religion and their places of worship are quite evident within some of the larger cities. In fact, second only to Israel for number of Jews in a Middle Eastern country.

I don't think the Iranians "hate" Jews. I think the Iranians "hate" Zionists and Israelis and somehow don't think of them as being the same as "their" Jews.

Strange but true <g>

I thought of one other aspect that should not be forgotten here. Our
form of government is just that, government. We have separation of
church and state. I'll grant you that it is a weak separation, but it
is there officially. However, in countries were fundamentalist, radical
Muslims have taken over, there is no separation of church and state.
Islam is both a way of government and a faith, and there is zero
tolerance for dissention or other beliefs.