homestead - Re: [Homestead] Assorted things

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Assorted things
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 18:07:09 -0400

Lynda wrote:
Sort of. Iran is a theocracy.

While the leadership of Iran may have fundamental tendencies, Iran is not a fundamentalist, radical country as a whole in the way we describe fundamentalism these days. Ourmanofjihad<g> is just crazy. Iran is mostly Shia, the minority more 'fundamental' sect of Islam. BUT, Iranian women go to college. They don't wear burqas there. They have a lot of freedoms, and Iranians are pretty tolerant of others, as you note. Iran is practically a western country by comparison to say, Pakistan or Afghanistan or Yemen or Somalia.
In my comments below, I was referring more to those type of countries than Iran.

Bev

I thought of one other aspect that should not be forgotten here. Our
form of government is just that, government. We have separation of
church and state. I'll grant you that it is a weak separation, but it
is there officially. However, in countries were fundamentalist, radical
Muslims have taken over, there is no separation of church and state.
Islam is both a way of government and a faith, and there is zero
tolerance for dissention or other beliefs.

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan