homestead - Re: [Homestead] Destruction of America from within

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Destruction of America from within
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:11:40 -0400

Gene GeRue wrote:

In that way, they become dependent on a Federal program.
The more money we hand out, the more dependent on that money people
become, whether it is a economic stimulus check, a farm subsidy, or even
a tax free holiday.

Well, sure. In that sense, we are all dependent on the government.

But why? This is home, sure, but why rely on handouts? Why not just
get up and do it yourself? Where has our entrepreneurial spirit gone?
Where are the kids who wanted to buy the latest record so they sold
lemonade on the street corner?

This is our home. We depend on the government to maintain a military to protect us. Laws, roads, signs, the list is long; we are dependent on many things that we take for granted and we get upset when they disappear.

Ah, but that is a legitimate function of government, to provide safety
and security so that the individual can pursue happiness. That is not
an entitlement program that gives money to people. We do not depend on
government, we EXPECT government to provide these things to our society,
not the individual.

What I was
thinking
when I wrote that was more to the issue of foreign aid, however. How
much money do we give to countries that hate us and vote against us in
the UN in a tight vote?

Tell me.

Let me get my ducks in a row and I will.

In years past I was seriously upset with our foreign aid, most especially when I was having a tough time making it and paying taxes to support same. I have come to understand that the percentages are small and the reasons legion.

I guess I am not there yet. I know we are giving a small percentage of what we are netting with taxes, but right or wrong, I liken this charitable act as any other individual charity.
1. Charity begins at home
2. As a mother, I know all about caretaking...you can take care of everyone else to your own self demise.
3. It is all relative. We give a lot of money away. Let's say we give 100 million to country X...maybe in country X that is half of their GNP!
Ever see rich people give their kids allowances? I saw that last night on tv..some bazillionaire gives his 10 year old $1000 a week. Why? The kid only needs $10, if that. He gets money from other relatives(countries) to boot. Overgiving makes for complacency and unappreciativeness. I am not saying it is wrong to give a lot of money, just that we, the USA, often give money to the extreme without much oversight, and perhaps we need to rethink that to keep all those moneys out of unintended hands. Our charitable contributions often go not for the causes we think; much is funneled away into someone's pocket or for terrorism or wasted.

Bev

--
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from
the government and I'm here to help.'" Ronald Reagan