homestead - Re: [Homestead] Assorted things

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Assorted things
  • Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 11:55:24 -0400

Maybe we should agree to disagree, but just because I used Iraq as an example doesn't mean that I support that action or that I think US foreign policy is on track. It isn't, and I think for the most part that we probably do agree about the role of the US in the world. I think we may differ on for example you see our invasion of Iraq as an oil grab and probably Afghanistan as a removal of government action, but I see the two as military positioning for the upcoming war with Iran(which will be a regional if not a world war) and Russia. As you saw last night in the debates, both candidates, and every other politician on the Hill, is adamant about Iran not getting nukes. They are also worried about the Bourse, which many think will be the death nail of America. Even with purpose (and not for oil) is it the right path? I don't think so. I'm more of an isolationist by nature.
And I am sure that you are right about how many innocents we have killed, but I think that is only because the war is there, not here. I don't that has any reflection of the civility of the enemy. War is hell, someone said.

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
EarthNSky wrote:
Yes, and yes. If the US overthrew or assassinated say, Castro, we would
not be marching through the streets of Cuba killing every Cuban we saw.
We would not be saying...pledge allegiance to our flag or die...
On the other hand, radical Islam has no mercy. As an infidel, you
either convert or you die. Period.
Look at Iraq...we took over a sovereign country..overthrew Hussein, and
yet, we are allowing them to govern themselves as best as they can. We
are not trying to change Sharia law...their justice system...their
society, we just took out the government. If the tables were turned,
our system of justice would be gone, as would our culture....sharia or
die.

I think we will have to agree to disagree. We have a very different idea of the role of the US in the world. We have no business interfering with other countries because we want their oil or don't like their government. Look at the numbers...I'm sure we've killed many more innocent Muslims than terrorists have killed innocent Americans. What did Iraq do to us to deserve that? Iraq wasn't even a terrorist state (but it is now).

Lynn Wigglesworth