homestead - Re: [Homestead] Judgement indicators

  • From: rayzentz AT aim.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Judgement indicators
  • Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 17:35:18 -0400

I do. It was a rhetorical question. Year ago, when I was only about 8 or so, my aunt married a black guy from California. I thought he was very cool, and we got along famously. My parents were very welcoming, and they both spent many occasions at our house, along with my two new cousins, his boys from an earlier marriage. They were just a couple of years older than I.

Years later, I discovered that for a time, he and my aunt were not welcome at the house of my grandparents. It seems my grandparents were prejudiced enough that they dis-owned my aunt. They did get over it, and my uncle became an accepted member of the family.

I did not understand this prejudice then, and I still do not understand it now. There are plenty of things about people by which they can, and probably should, be judged. Skin color, and other accident of birth, should not be among them. I will always be greatful to parents who raised me to be color blind, and to judge others based on their character, and their actions.

Ray