homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog

  • From: Mogrits <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Dog
  • Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 22:16:41 -0400

> away. There was an australian shepherd up for adoption at a prison I
> work at, they train them for socialization. I'm afraid that might be a
> problem though, if it's been trained to be a good city dog and get
> along with anyone it comes across.

I'd look into this dog- the traits you desire are innate in the breed-
he will only be learning good manners and will still do the job you
want. My neighbor has had two, and though frustrating to me (dog herds
my car going down the driveway), I admire it's loyalty to the kid who
owns him, and the dogs instinctive protection of his yard.

Warren