homestead - Re: [Homestead] Republicans appear to be yesterday

  • From: Akka Homestead <akkabhomestead AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Republicans appear to be yesterday
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 22:09:15 -0700 (PDT)

Gene GeRue wrote:

> I certainly hope that he keeps writing. After the last seven years I
> am hungry for a president with a fine mind who offers his thoughts in
> writing that we may examine them.

Two thoughts go with that...one, I certainly agree that we currently don't
have a president with a fine mind...and two...are you sure that what you read
in Obama's books are his own thoughts?  When I was searching around the other
day looking for publishing stuff, I saw one or two sites that insinuated that
perhaps not all of the material under his name was his, that perhaps he had
help.  It was probably just innuendo trying to slam the guy, but that is what
I thought about when you said "offer his thoughts".
Actually, if he had had help writing his works and credited that help, I
might actually think better of him(-unless he ghosted it. ) as that would
mean that he didn't spend all of his time writing.  After all, McCain wrote a
few self serving books while in the Senate, too, but he had a co-author.
There is no shame in having a co-author when you have a busy schedule with
outside obligations.  I don't like any of them writing books on my dime.  I
don't care who it is.

> I admire people who write well. Writing is a way to discipline the
> mind, to get things in order, to verify the strength of ideas, their
> truth.

I admire anyone who writes, even if they don't write well, because writing in
general shows a commitment to communication of ideas, whether they are good
or not.

 I have an early edition of Winston Churchill's, The Second
> World War. The six volumes comprise a huge amount of writing. Imagine
> the time required. The effort won for him the Nobel Prize in 1953. Yet
> Churchill had characteristics that today in America might well make
> him unelectable. Ponder that.

I pondered it a little, and I had heard of the Nobel Prize winning books, but
relied on (drumroll) Wiki to look at the dates of when he he wrote it vs..
when he was prime minister.  It appears, according to this page,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Second_World_War_(Churchill)
that he did not actually write the book while he was prime minister, but he
did save memos and dictate his thoughts.  Basically, he journaled and
scrapbooked, both things are ok in my opinion to do while one is PM.  After
his term was up, THEN he concentrated and wrote the bulk of the series in
memoir style.  The last volume was published in 1953, but previous volumes
apparently came out in 1948.  Recall that he was PM from 40-45 and after
51-55.  Also, he apparently had help writing the books, Sir Norman Brook and
others.  Churchill set out to write those books as a historian; it was not a
self serving venture.  If you look at all of Winstons work on this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winston_Churchill_as_writer   you will see that
the only material during his PM years are 'books' that are collections of his
speeches, like 1944's Onward to Victory.

> I don't measure Obama by comparison to mere ordinaries. He is in a
> higher league. You may be one of those who think that if he is writing
> books he is neglecting the duties of his office. I think that he is
> keeping his brain in tune and he is capable of much more.

Yes, in fact, I *am* one of those people.  If my tax dollar is paying for him
to do a job, he better as F?%^ be doing that job, not writing and publishing
books about his own life that will make millions of dollars.   He should work
for me, and as his employer, I demand that he is loyal to my needs,...my son
if not myself, and not serving his own needs.  That is what he is paid to do
as a public servant.  He can serve his own needs after he is out of the White
House(or Senate as far as I am concerned, but he is not my Senator so I don't
know if anyone else has complained)

>  From Amazon.com re: The Audacity of Hope:
> Q: What is your writing process like? You have such a busy schedule,
> how did you find time to write?
> A: I'm a night owl, so I usually wrote at night after my Senate day
> was over, and after my family was asleep--from 9:30 p.m. or so until 1
> a.m. I would work off an outline--certain themes or stories that I
> wanted to tell--and get them down in longhand on a yellow pad. Then
> I'd edit while typing in what I'd written.

I haven't read the book, but here is an example of how we can see two
different things in one passage.  The Audacity of Hope was written in 2006,
while BO was a Senator.  By his own statement above, he spent 3+ hours a day,
rather at night, writing, typing, editing.  I think he should have been doing
other things personally. You see a guy that claims to write after his Senate
workday, and I see a guy who I think should be studying and preparing for
voting on the issues, a guy who should be writing legislation, not his
memoirs.  If you look at this page, it shows his voting record
http://www.votesmart.org/voting_category.php?can_id=9490
There are an awful lot of NV's on there.  I decided to do some counting and
boy was I surprised!  I created a little spreadsheet with Obama, McCain and
Clinton votes.  I recorded the number of times they should have voted since
2005, and the number of times they voted NV.
Obama missed voting 40% of the time. Maybe he was writing at the time, or
sleeping that day because he had been up half the night writing.
McCain missed voting 52% of the time.  Maybe as an old guy he was sleeping.
Clinton missed voting only 30% of the time!  Amazing that she came in ahead
of the above slackers.  30% isn't anything to brag about, but it certainly is
better than either one of the guys.
I was amazed.  You can even kind of make assumptions what is important to the
candidates by how many votes they missed vs. how many votes they attended and
expressed an opinion.

> Somewhere I have an article I wrote about staring out the window while
> writing. Any non-writer (or wife} observing this would fairly conclude
> that I was goofing off, that I lacked drive, that I lacked focus.

Were you being paid to write, or were you being paid to perform another type
of job, like a real estate search or research?  If you were being paid to
write, then I could care less if you were looking out the window.  That is
thinking, part of the writing process of organizing thoughts.  If you were
supposed to be working for a paying RE client, then you lose my respect.

> Truth be told, some of a writer's best thoughts come while staring out
> a window or at a ceiling. Non-writers just don't get that.

I get that fine.  I am not making judgments against writers who stare out the
window.
As an American, though, I pay my fair share of taxes to support government.
I don't want to see cops spend hours in a Donut Shoppe, I don't to see
Senators at Lobbyist parties or playing golf in the Caribbean, and I
certainly don't want to see Obama staring out the oval office window trying
to figure out what he should write about next.  We will be paying him to read
proposals, develop policy, make decisions (whole 'nother thread there), meet
with dignitaries, be commander in chief, etc. etc.  I don't want to pay the
guy to write his next book-a book that he is bound to make millions from...

You know Gene, maybe I am making a bigger deal out of this than most.  It
does seem that book writing while acting as a public servant is a common
thing to do.  It just doesn't set well with me, though.
I have to thank you for continuing this conversation, because I think I
learned a lot today.

Akka