homestead - Re: [Homestead] Fannie/Freddie bailout question

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fannie/Freddie bailout question
  • Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 19:58:51 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Sat, 9/13/08, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

> From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
> Subject: Re: [Homestead] Fannie/Freddie bailout question

> > Those few people who are on land and know how to raise
> what they eat
> > may be alright, but most of the people, who live in
> cities
> > are in trouble. They do not know how to grow food and
> don't know
> > how to learn.
>
> Well, it's not just the issue of food. One winter
> without reliable
> electricity and natural gas and the devastation would be
> enormous. You
> can't burn furniture in a faux fireplace.
>
> > From those city people I have talked to I do not
> think they will
> > go to the country as they are scared to do so. Unless
> something
> > drastic is started, and fairly soon, the results will
> be very bad.
> > Just my opinion. I am very willing to be proved
> wrong.

Does anyone else remember the TV serious "Connections" from maybe 30 years
ago. James Burke, and English producer did a 10 part serious about how
technology grew. He would take a bit of technology from, somethings,
thousands of years ago and explain how that allowed another innovation and so
on up to the present.
In the first show he uses the Blackout of 1968(?) to show how things could
fall apart very quickly. He then goes on to ask how we would deal with such
a collapse. Would people try to escape the city? How would they get out
once the gasoline supplies were gone? Would they be able to find a place in
the country (especially with those of us who have a place defending our
property)? Would they know how to plant, plow, harvest etc.?
I'm currently getting the DVDs from Netflix and finding it as fascinating and
relevant as it was then.
Van Dell