homestead - Re: [Homestead] I need a truck : )

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] I need a truck : )
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 22:20:37 -0800

Trucks are like politics <g> We all have favorites and we all have severe dislikes!

We've owned Dodges, used Fords and owned General Motors. Oh and an International. My little truck, which we generally just use on the land to haul stuff around like wood, etc., is a Chevy 1/2 ton with 300,000 some miles on it. Still going strong and probably will for another 300,000. It has a gas engine. It pulls pulls the boat with no problem even though the boat is longer than it is. And will do so fully loaded (it and the boat both) up a hill in 3rd gear.

DH has a GMC Jimmy 4x4 which we usually use to pull the boat when we head out to the coast to fish or over to the lakes to fish. It's got well over 200,000 miles on it. No problems. It's a left over from his "boys and their toys" days and spends most of its time parked.

However, the Suburban is a diesel and it is what we regularly use when we need something to drive. A diesel is hardly broke in at 100,000 miles and there really isn't an equivalency when you say "high mileage" if you are thinking of what you'd say when you talk about a gas engine. It has about 300,000 miles on it. It just keeps plugging along. Up hill, down hill, summer, winter, hot, cold. Doesn't make any difference.

If you can find an older "high mileage" diesel that's been well maintained, don't sweat the "high mileage" as far as the engine is concerned. Just have the trany, drive train, etc. checked out. The engine will outlast the truck! AND, an older vehicle won't have as much electronic junk on it that can cost you a blooming fortune to have repaired!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

If you were going to go out and buy a used truck, what would you buy?

Originally, we were going to use my sister's truck and trailer to move
the horses and sheep, but her truck is sick. It's terminal, really,
she's been neglecting it for years. "Oil?" she says, quizically.

Anyway, I went out and bought a really nice little used bumper pull
stock trailer, because I need to be able to move the animals around on
my own up there. My soccer mom wagon isn't going to hack it. Roy has
cut me loose to truck hunt.

I am leaning towards a Dodge 2500 or Ford F250, diesel, so we can run
biodiesel through it. 4WD. I'd like to avoid high mileage. I'd like
to spend under $8,500. Suggestions (other than praying to the Truck
Gods?)