homestead - Re: [Homestead] Does this idea stink?

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Does this idea stink?
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 01:42:22 -0700

At 6/25/2008 07:40 PM,Roy Morgan wrote:

On Jun 25, 2008, at 11:02 AM, <eureka AT hctc.net> wrote:

> I don't know who he used, but I think most of the local
> well drilling companies use dowsing as we are very rural
> and the businesses have been handed down for generations.
> Roy Morgan <k1lky AT earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>> Did the neighbor have a dowser come in to mark the best
>> place to drill?

Oh good. At least *some* old timey methods remain.

Roy

Dousing, try it.
Take a couple of wire coat hangers, cut them and bend them into an "L".
Hold the small part on your hands with the long part facing forward and slowly walk around where you are looking for water. See what happens.
For me the rods actually move (swivel) as I walk. I go forward and they swing back, I stop and back up and the rods swing forward. Very odd.
A long time ago at a light house with a 3 man crew and we needed to find a buried water line. The guy in charge made the rods and showed us how to do it. They worked for him (we found the water line) , they worked for me but not the third guy (who poo pooed the idea from the beginning).
This dowsing is really an odd thing, I don't do it unless I need to. The last time I let my kids try it, it worked for most but not all of them.

I make no attempt to explain it, no claims to finding water, I don't understand it but the rods move (for me) on there own at specific places. Try it if you're curious.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA