homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dulcimers, was Tomatoes

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dulcimers, was Tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 23:19:11 -0800

What is your's made of, James? Saw a beautiful one on the net but the base was made of redwood and I can't for the life of me figure why anyone would want to use such a soft wood. Seems to me it would mute the sound almost down to a thunk.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

Yes indeed! But the trick is to make the box so that the 700lbs of tension
from all the strings doesn't rip it apart before it is up to pitch.

I played the hammered dulcimer in a Celtic band for a number of years. One
gig we were backstage when, after all it being Irish music, the whistle player
passed around a bottle of Bushmill. The patron of the theater just happened
back stage at that moment, glanced at me with a raised eyebrow and said, "Oh, I
get it now, a hammered dulcimer player!"

Pentagon indeed!

James </HTML>