homestead - Re: [Homestead] Very fast climate change

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Very fast climate change
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:30:15 -0400

bob ford wrote:
Thank's. I once read that there is an underwater crater, I believe
near the Yacatan Peninsula, that is enough larger than Meteor Crater
that the cause of the crater might have also been the cause of the
extiction of dinosaurs. ...bobford

It is partially on the peninsula and partially in the water..it is HUGE-you could almost say it was half of the Bay of Campeche. When the crater was discovered, it was, and still is, considered the best rationale for the extinction of the dinosaurs, but today there is some discussion that perhaps it isn't...
Can't resist, here is another timeline exerpt- the part about Chixchulub..

75 million years ago Beginning of western uplift to become the Rocky Mountains
65 million Dinosaurs extinct as well as other mass extinctions probably due to Chixchulub impact crater on Yucutan peninsula in Mexico(K-T extinction event); Australia still attached to Antartica, India about to collide with Asia, South Atlantic Ocean now present as South America and Africa separate; first large mammals and primitive primates
54 million Mammals abound, rodents and primitive whales appear
45 million Indian continent collides with Asia; Himalayan Mountains
formed
40 million Ice age cycles begin**; Mass extinctions
38 million Many new mammals appear, grasses are common
35 million Asteroid strikes and creates Chesapeake Bay, forming a 50 mile wide crater