homestead - Re: [Homestead] Very fast climate change

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Very fast climate change
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:04:22 -0400

I've always believed/known that climate change could be quick. You and I grew up in an era where it was taught that all processes are slow and gradual, but we all know there must be balance. The Grand Canyon is a prime example...been there for millions of years, but a lot of erosion happened catastrophically in floods...

Bev

Gene GeRue wrote:
"The ice core showed the Northern Hemisphere briefly emerged from the last ice age some 14,700 years ago with a 22-degree-Fahrenheit spike in just 50 years, then plunged back into icy conditions before abruptly warming again about 11,700 years ago. Startlingly, the Greenland ice core evidence showed that a massive "reorganization" of atmospheric circulation in the Northern Hemisphere coincided with each temperature spurt, with each reorganization taking just one or two years, said the study authors."

Keep in mind, this was some years before eighteen wheelers and coal- fired plants. Probably those darned whales splashing around in the North Atlantic. Or . . . ?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/06/080619142112.htm