homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 22:20:16 -0400

If you are worried about them on the ground, just lay something on the ground, or park a wheelbarrow or something...tomatoes, like all other vines, will find a way up and over...
I now have rebar cages, but started out with fence cages (holes 2x4 with a section cut out so I could reach my hand in and get big tomatoes out). Anyway, I hate staking tomatoes, so what I do now is just stick 'rods' through the fence. Ever play Kerplunk! when you were a kid? You put the sticks through to support the marbles at the top. In the garden, you put the sticks/rods/bamboo through the holes in the wire cage and it supports the vine/tomatoes. You just alternate the direction of insertion of the sticks and apply them as you need them. My tomatoes are already 6+ feet tall this year...and they are just now putting on tomatoes! I also do this with my peppers..and you could even do it with cukes or any other loose vine.
I have probably mentioned this here before, but one year I took a few 2x4 scraps, 1 foot long, and attached a piece of scrap red top field fencing to it. I made a simple platform, like a fence bed or a little rectangular trampoline. It was 1 foot or so tall, and the fence was about 4 feet wide(high if it were indeed a fence) and 6 feet long.
So anyway, I planted my tomatoes and set the platform over the top of two plants...sure enough, they vined over the top, and the fence helped support the toms and keep them high enough to avoid mud splashing. If I had it to do over again, I'd make a much larger bed to accommodate a larger vine.