homestead - Re: [Homestead] Very fast climate change

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Very fast climate change
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 20:42:34 -0400

bob ford wrote:
Bev; how long did it take for the Colorado to carve the Grand Canyon?
I've been there a number of times and maybe my memory is wrong, but I
thought the standard theory was that it took hundreds of thousands if
not millions of years....bobford

Well, okay, you caught me exaggerating...<g>, but it can happen pretty quickly, even 2000 years is geologically a blink of the eye. And even if the Grand Canyon was carved out in a week, that doesn't mean it hasn't been there for millions of years. I mean, just a bit south of there is a big hole in the ground known as Barringer Crater, or Meteor crater. That happened about as quickly as you can imagine, almost 50 thousand years ago (49 I think, if I'm not a year behind) The climate in that region in the last 50 thousand years has been pretty dry. But seriously, I don't know that there is a consensus on how old the canyon is...somewhere between 5 and 20 million years old, I would guess, depending on what area you are talking about. The process probably sped up and slowed down depending on the climate of the era...whether or not Earth was in an ice age, etc. For all we know, it may have started eroding 15 million years ago-maybe the size of a large ditch, then through 3 or 4 different climate eras, carved out what we see today. It hasn't changed all that much in the several thousand years humans have been in North America, for sure, but during that time, it's been relatively dry.
Here's something kind of interesting in a sad way...look up Providence Canyon...it's a state park down in south Georgia. They call it Georgia's Grand Canyon. The remarkable thing is that the canyon is only about 150 years old. It's about 150 feet deep, too...that's about a foot a year for uniformitarians...<g> It was caused by poor farming practices...a gully run amok<Sp>.

I like timelines, and I have created a master geological timeline..It helps me put things in perspective..it contains things like volcanic explosions, impacts, anthropology, etc. Dates are approximate, obviously, and for the most part, I have used the orthodox dating making only occasional mention of controversial dating. The GC date is the conventional, orthodox date.
Here's an excerpt:
25 million years ago=First hominids appear, modern looking bears, wolves, birds, and horses appear; La Garita supervolcano caldera erupts with largest volcanic eruption VEI 9.1 in Colorado
13 million years ago= Mass extinctions
8 million=Mastodons roam Earth; Southern California area 1/2 mile underwater
5 million Impact in Tajikstan forms Karakul crater, 28 miles wide; Colorado river begins to carve out the Grand Canyon
3 million First upright hominids (Australopithecenes); modern whales; megalodon swam the seas
2 million Advanced Australopithicus in Africa; Yellowstone supervolcanic eruption forming Huckleberry Ridge
1.5 million Homo habilis appears
1 million Homo erectus appears
900 thousand Magnetic pole flip (Jaramillo event)
750 thousand First stone artifacts found; multiple cratering event on ice-covered Antarctica over thousands of miles in area
600 thousand Ancient volcano creates Yellowstone NP

And if you are still reading, you now understand that 'Bev is Earth' thing...lol...and you say, yup, she's a Taurean alright.

Bev

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky