homestead - Re: [Homestead] SCOTUS strikes gun ban

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] SCOTUS strikes gun ban
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2008 19:04:57 -0400

I found this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/20/AR2008062002036.html

"WASHINGTON -- A civil liberties group filed a lawsuit Friday seeking an injunction against the District of Columbia police department's vehicle checkpoint program, calling the "military-style" initiative unconstitutional and ineffective.

The class-action lawsuit was filed in U.S. District Court in Washington by the Partnership for Civil Justice on behalf of four D.C. residents who were stopped by the checkpoints earlier this month in the city's Trinidad neighborhood.

The checkpoints were in effect in Trinidad for six days beginning June 7. The initiative requires officers to check drivers' ID and turn away those who don't have a "legitimate purpose" in the area, such as a doctor's appointment or church visit. Police have said the checkpoints could be used in other areas that experience a surge in violence.

The lawsuit also asks the court to throw out data that police collected on law-abiding citizens who were stopped at the checkpoints."

And this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/16/AR2008061602695.html

DC police chief defends checkpoints before Council

By BRIAN WESTLEY
The Associated Press
Monday, June 16, 2008; 10:18 PM

WASHINGTON -- The District of Columbia's police chief on Monday defended vehicle checkpoints in a neighborhood struggling with violence, saying the measure was a success and that no shootings occurred while they were in place.

Police Chief Cathy Lanier, testifying before a D.C. Council committee, also refused to refrain from using the controversial checkpoints again, despite those who said the tactic had brought the city a rash of bad publicity.

"We are trying to do the right things for the right reasons," Lanier said.

Under the initiative in the Trinidad neighborhood for six days earlier this month, officers checked drivers' ID and turned away those who didn't live there or have a "legitimate purpose" for visiting, such as a doctor's appointment or a church visit.
ad_icon

The measure has been criticized by civil liberties groups as a violation of citizens' constitutional rights.

Johnny Barnes, executive director of the D.C. branch of the American Civil Liberties Union, has warned that police "are on a collision course with the courts" if the checkpoints continue.