homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: Judy Anderson <segwynne AT verizon.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:14:54 -0400

I came into this conversation very late, but I would like to add my two cents. I don't believe the environment and/or unschooling are capable of being the sole determinants in how a child grows up. I am unschooling my children in a housing project, where we live in poverty (by American standards). I will admit that I am in a great city, and the worst crime we have suffered while living here is getting our tires slashed and having CPS spuriously called on us repeatedly by someone wanting to get revenge for some unknown grudge.

The environment can destroy any child regardless of schooling method, if the parents don't lead their children. Unschooling will work in any environment, if the parents are committed to their children. I am a stay home mom, so I have my children with me at all times. I severely limit their contact with the neighbors. I take them out of this neighborhood and give them good role models. Two of my girls are in Girl Scouts. They all love the library and participate each year in the summer reading program, and whatever other events the library hosts. They are wonderful kids (for the most part).

I agree that everyone is capable of teaching their children, but only if they want to. The parent's level of education really isn't an issue because a committed parent will find the information themselves or find someone who knows and can teach their child. I once heard the library called the second public education system, and I have to agree. If an illiterate parent wants to teach their child themselves, they will either learn how to read, or find someone who can teach their child how to read, or both. I'm not saying it isn't hard, I am saying it should not be dismissed out of hand.

Ultimately, the parents are *the* single most influential factor in a child's life.

Judy