homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 11:43:51 EDT

> >It seems to me that urban gangs are in fact a
> result of lack of guidance, of extreme unschooling. What these
> children learn is how to survive in a criminal atmosphere.

--------------------------

To the unschooler these gangs are the result of tightly constricting the view
of normality and opportuntiy to success in school. And when by turn of
nature or will of spirit some of the people will have nothing to do with it,
what's
left but crime and gangs?

Gangs are the epitome and distillation of schooling, not unschooling.

Imagine for a moment that you removed the concept of "the Man". What would
happen to the gangs? If there's nothing to be against, their influence
disappears.

One of the characteristics of the unschooler's world is self-validation. How
many times have we come across some schooled to the soul idiot who asks the
children where they go to school, and when it is determined that that they
are
homeschooled (unschooling is a concept beyond them), said idiot will say
something like:

"Oh, let me ask you then, if one car travels at 80 mph and another car
travels at 55 mph the same distance but arrives 20 minutes later, who far did
they
travel?"

(The children stare at him.)

"Ah, don't know, do you?"

(To which I reply)
"It's not that. They think you are an idiot. What kind of moron asks such a
thing uninvited?"

A person who has not been indoctrianted from birth to constantly seek outside
approval and valiation is so foreign to the schooled that they can in no wise
deal with it.

It's harder to undo that indoctrination once it's in place, but it does
happen.

Remove that indoctrination from those project and barrio children, and the
need for gangs goes with it. </HTML>