homestead - [Homestead] Pasture

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pasture
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 12:13:56 -0400

I went ahead and cut a couple acres of pasture this morning. It's
mostly spring grass that's gone to seed and turned brown that I cut.
Underneath that is summer grasses and what not. I loosely call this
pasture, it's old fields that have grown up to whatever grew. I'm
grazing the goats on it until I can till it up. The tilling is
necessary if for nothing more to level it out. The furrows that the
last tobacco crop were planted in were never disked down, so a lot of
it is like speed bumps.

It's amazing what the goats have done to this area in just one year.
They were on it all last summer. When I cut it in the fall, there were
a lot of brambles stalks left, no leaves on them. Those are gone now,
I noticed bramble leaves but small stuff coming back. The goats have
ate anything that came back down so that just a leaf or two has come
back. I figure that the cutting will make all of that more visible to
the goats for the rest of the summer.

There were very few weeds that needed cutting, mostly just spring
grasses that have gone to seed and dried up. There are a lot of weeds,
but they are short, eaten down.

I plan to have lime spread on this pasture this fall or late summer.
It will be interesting what it looks like next year 2 years into the
goats and with ph corrected.

Rob - Va