homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 15:08:22 EDT

> >That might be true if there were such a world, but we
> know there is such a thing.
> Walking is a basic natural need, reading is not.

But learning is. In a society where everyone meditates, children naturally
learn to meditate without being "taught". In a society where reading is the
norm, reading is necessary to participate in the adult world, children learn
read without being taught. I am not being theoretical here, this is an
observed fact. Viewed from the unshoolers point of view, the only children
who
don't learn to read are the ones actively prevented from doing so.

> >Children want to learn, but they are indiscriminate
> about what they want to learn.

You have, VanDell, the artifical paradigm of "subjects" in mind. That is a
wholy artificial constuct of the educational industry. Natural learners (ie
anyone but the schooled) have no such false focus.

Let me assure you that children are most discriminate about what they learn.
</HTML>