homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 20:20:55 -0500

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 6:15 PM, Lynda <lurine AT softcom.net> wrote:
> The truth is that with the public education system we have a less literate
> society than we did prior to the public education system.

I think that's an assertion without evidence. I have read letters that
my ancestors wrote. I gotta say that most of the old folk were pretty
literate. However, the letters from neighbors and employees are barely
decipherable. All the illiterates, save one, that I know personally
were pre1950s models.

I'd like a little more hard evidence that literacy used to be more widespread.

Marie