homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homeschooling and unschooling
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:58:55 -0500

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 10:48 AM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> Is walking something children automatically learn growing up in an
> evnironment where nobody particularly values walking?
>
> I believe that would be a 'yes'.

Poor analogy. Everyone learns to walk if they can. How else do they
easily get out of the house and down the steps to the car?

People learn what they have to for their particular environment.

The homeschoolers I know, which includes several families now, are
doing extremely well. Of course, their environments are condusive to
learning. But then, I've been in classrooms where the kids are doing
well too. In fact, I've often been surprised at how little the
classrooms are like the regimented prisons that James refers to.

Marie

Marie