homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:49:49 -0500

On Jun 12, 2008, at 11:35 AM, Gene GeRue wrote:

. . . and yet there is serious need for care improvement and
responsibility for mistakes. I find it impossible to find persuasive
facts for or against regulation by government or private industry. I
just know it is presently a bad situation and needing vast
improvement. I have no reason to believe that the medical industry
would do a better job.

And, btw, only about nineteen percent of practicing physicians belong to the AMA. So, without government regulation, most doctors would be essentially free to be outstanding, good, mediocre, or bad at their jobs, having no one at all to regulate or control them save insurance companies' rates. And high insurance costs have caused super high medical costs so many areas are simply not served by high-risk specialties like neurosurgeons.

James, you have made fair but disparaging remarks about the National Association of Realtors. Without government testing and licensing, would you put the NRA in charge?

Yes, these regulatory agencies are not the big-ticket items of our government budget. But without them, yet more citizens would be at the mercy of unethical and incompetent practitioners.

My point is that getting rid of government is not the panacea that libertarians tout.