homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pasture / scythe question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pasture / scythe question
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 21:13:26 EDT

> >How much area can you mow in an hour. Could you work
> a longer day if you paced yourself differently .. then
> how much area could you cover.

Hay is on my mind (and down my back). We just raked and stacked what we cut
three days ago. That much I won't have to panic over this winter. Last
winter was grim, didn't enjoy it.

The problem with hay is that it is ripe when the weather is hot. Also early
morning dewy, trugid grass is very easy to cut. Afternoon droopy, limp grass
is decidedly less so. Even if one could endure the heat, it's a poor use of
one's strength.

This morning was typical, I cut a triangle 180' x 30' in about 30 minutes of
cutting time. That's 1/16th acre. Typically I can keep that pace for two
hours (leisurely, that is). So I'd reckon a reasonable amount for one mower
is
1/4 acre a day. I dare say one could do a lot more, but it would get to be
not
fun pretty quickly after two hours and the sun coming up in earnest.

Plenty water and plenty rest, you could more. And you can mow in the evening
too, but mostly here it's mow in the morning an stack in the evening.

There are also three other people who are AB mowers in the household. We
have two grass scythes and I am probably going to purchase a third soon. If
we
get in a bit of a hurry, I can pipe all hands and we spell each other.

</HTML>