homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 20:55:57 EDT

Few believe that. Even most of those who pay lip service to the
premise make hypocrites of themselves by their actions. Most want less
government except for THEIR priorities and programs. Test this
yourself. Make the short list of the functions you want government to
be responsible for. Then ask your friends to do the same. Compare.

OK, defense. Yet, within my lifetime the country has no cause to rise in
military defense. Our freedom has always (during said lifetime) been more
threatened by the government itself than from any outside force. So defense,
yes,
but I don't buy the 'my son is stationed at the South Pole and is defending
your freedom'. From what? Penguins?

Post office? Nah. I'd do fine without it.

Currency? Mine is over 80% direct use economy and anyway the government has
of late made a hash out of the currency. Not holding my breath on that one.

Education? Ha! Don't even get me started. No use whatever for it.

Dept of Ag? ATF? Dept of imigration (ha!, ha!). No use for them.

Sorry, Gene, having a hard time coming up with something. I still seem to be
with the very small government sentiment.

> >Gas does not make determinations. People do.

You think not? I'll bet one gets a good whiff of gasoline in the voting
booth this November.

> I will have to research and think about this Jeavons Paradox. If your
> gardening becomes more efficient, will you just do more of it? Or will
> you expand your activities?

Are you a LotR fan, Gene? When Frodo offered the ring to Galadriel and after
her soliloquy she said, "I passed the test ...." I have passed into that
mystic realm of the direct use economy. It is very much unlike money or
power,
or gasoline which is very kin to them. I just came from the garden where I
was ciphering the number of turnips .... wonderful 6" an 8" turnips still
solid
all the way through. There's enough for us to have all we want to eat until
they begin fade in mid July (at which time the fall crop of them is planted),

More than enough, although not 60 sq ft planted to them.

Am I tempted to labor for more? No. I can't even eat the ones I have. I
have escaped from the Jeavon's Paradox because I have found the secret to
exert myself until the satiation of my wants and then the motivation for
further
effort disappears. I have passed the test. </HTML>