homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 05:32:54 -0500

On Jun 11, 2008, at 7:55 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

OK, defense. Yet, within my lifetime the country has no cause to rise in
military defense. Our freedom has always (during said lifetime) been more
threatened by the government itself than from any outside force.

How about law enforcement?

Currency? Mine is over 80% direct use economy and anyway the government has
of late made a hash out of the currency.

But can you live without it? Btw, get the greater Bristol area to use its own, legal, currency and you can ignore dollars except when you buy something out of the area or pay taxes.

Education? Ha! Don't even get me started. No use whatever for it.

Even higher education? I would want a trained and certified physician removing my child's appendix or worse.

Sorry, Gene, having a hard time coming up with something. I still seem to be
with the very small government sentiment.

So am I. But the system however inefficient is keeping things running. When I travel I like it that the highways match at state lines. I like it that my Ibuprofen has a seal on the top so some wacko can't slip in poison. I like it when I can get a clear radio station, not jumbled with a gazillion others fighting for the same waves. I like it that drivers on the road stay within a speed range calculated to allow me time for evasive action if necessary. And I like going to sleep knowing it is highly unlikely that roving bands of criminals will burst into my house at two in the morning. Much more that we take for granted.

Are you a LotR fan, Gene?

No.

When Frodo offered the ring to Galadriel and after
her soliloquy she said, "I passed the test ...." . . . I
have escaped from the Jeavon's Paradox because I have found the secret to
exert myself until the satiation of my wants and then the motivation for further
effort disappears. I have passed the test.

I'm glad to know you.