homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 21:41:02 -0400

I don't think Gene has read that, if memory serves.
Speaking of literature, I'm gonna go off on a tangent...
Today, while doing some research on rivers around here, I came across a reference to James Dickey's Deliverance. Dickey used to paddle the Coosawattee, which was dammed to build Carter's Lake. We are going to paddle the lower half of the Coosawattee in a few weeks-the part that is mostly flatwater. If I recall, the movie was actually filmed in NE Ga on the Chattooga(class 4+), supposedly the fictious Cahulawassee, and before you start making fun of north Georgians, please remember that those Foxfire Books you know and love are a more accurate depiction of the people than the people in Deliverance. ANYWAY, I started thinking about what a shame it was that so many people forget Dickey's other theme...man against nature..and yet remember oh so well the man against man part..lol..I heard Dickey speak once, and he mentioned that.
Feeling just a bit random,,

Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

I will have to research and think about this Jeavons Paradox. If your gardening becomes more efficient, will you just do more of it? Or will you expand your activities?

Are you a LotR fan, Gene? When Frodo offered the ring to Galadriel and after her soliloquy she said, "I passed the test ...." I have passed into that mystic realm of the direct use economy.
34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky