homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pasture question

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pasture question
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 05:34:57 -0500

On Jun 11, 2008, at 8:44 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

I think once the seed heads are ready, you are helping nature and
keeping the goats from snacking. I think, as long as you don't cut it
too close, it's like getting a haircut-makes the grass healthier....the
clippings will hold in moisture, too.

Mowing thickens grass, improves soil, reduces erosion by water and wind. Tvo used to say that four inches was optimal for strong re-growth.