homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 12:39:53 EDT

> >Your view of good appointments differs from mine.

My view of good appointments and your view of good appointments is utterly
beside the point. And I'd point out that's the whole point! (Hey, I could
write Jack Sparrow's lines for the next PotC!)

And it illustrates why the absolute minimum government is the only sane
stance. The appointments are NEVER going to be anything that remotely
resemble our
'druthers. It is Obama's view of good appointments that matters, right now
he being the most likely prospective president ... right now. If Obama wants
government leaning toward that ideals of Liberation Theology, he will make
"good" appointments toward that end. My idea of minimum government or yours
of
efficient government will not be a criterion.

> >Again, my definition of competent people is of those who would have
> done all that has been done with far less waste.

What's it called ... thinking .... the Jeavons Paradox. As something becomes
more efficient, we tend to use MORE of it rather than less. Gas being a good
example. As gas mileage went up, rather than entering a long age of cheap
transportation, we bought more cars and drove them longer distances.

One rarely escapes the paradox. If 'competent' people had prosecuted the
wars in Afghanistan and Iraq with far less waste, history and human nature
show
we would have waged MORE war, not less. </HTML>