homestead - Re: [Homestead] Views on government

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Views on government
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 18:47:38 -0500

On Jun 11, 2008, at 11:39 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Your view of good appointments differs from mine.

My view of good appointments and your view of good appointments is utterly
beside the point.

Well, I want people to know how I feel about these things. So my views are quite the point to me.
It is almost certain that my views will have zero effect on what happens.

And I'd point out that's the whole point! (Hey, I could
write Jack Sparrow's lines for the next PotC!)

Fantasizing is healthy, go for it. What is the whole point?

And it illustrates why the absolute minimum government is the only sane
stance.

Few believe that. Even most of those who pay lip service to the premise make hypocrites of themselves by their actions. Most want less government except for THEIR priorities and programs. Test this yourself. Make the short list of the functions you want government to be responsible for. Then ask your friends to do the same. Compare.

What's it called ... thinking .... the Jeavons Paradox. As something becomes
more efficient, we tend to use MORE of it rather than less. Gas being a good
example. As gas mileage went up, rather than entering a long age of cheap
transportation, we bought more cars and drove them longer distances.

Gas does not make determinations. People do.

I will have to research and think about this Jeavons Paradox. If your gardening becomes more efficient, will you just do more of it? Or will you expand your activities?

One rarely escapes the paradox. If 'competent' people had prosecuted the
wars in Afghanistan and Iraq with far less waste, history and human nature show
we would have waged MORE war, not less. </HTML>

I don't see it.