homestead - Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:30:14 -0400

It is my understanding that juglone is in all parts of the tree, so as the leaves and fruits fall and decompose, you release limited amounts of it into the soil, with the heaviest concentration logically under the tree. I'd bet that only downwind/downslope plants are affected, where the leaves fall.. probably in very windy locations, there is minimal effect, only from roots, and that might be why some folks don't seem to have as many issues as others. I have black walnuts in my pasture and grass grows under them the same as the neighboring poplars. There is a persimmon which always fruits heavy within 20 feet of the walnut..what plants again did you say were affected?

Gene GeRue wrote:
Something for you to put into your thought mix: we would not want to kill the trees but it would be highly useful to cause the soil beyond their drip line to repel root growth.