homestead - Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:42:08 -0500

On Jun 10, 2008, at 7:30 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

It is my understanding that juglone is in all parts of the tree, so as
the leaves and fruits fall and decompose, you release limited amounts of
it into the soil, with the heaviest concentration logically under the
tree. I'd bet that only downwind/downslope plants are affected, where
the leaves fall.. probably in very windy locations, there is minimal
effect, only from roots, and that might be why some folks don't seem to
have as many issues as others. I have black walnuts in my pasture and
grass grows under them the same as the neighboring poplars. There is a
persimmon which always fruits heavy within 20 feet of the walnut..what
plants again did you say were affected?

My personal losses include apple, tomatoes and basil. Some other problem plantings may have been affected and I didn't know the cause. My research thus far says that roots contain the most juglone. The apples I have lost were well beyond the drip line of the one big tree that is the main culprit, I think, like a hundred feet from the tree trunk. They were uphill and upwind from the tree.

Here is the list I have so far--not sure if it will send intact as it has lines around it:

Plants Sensitive to Juglone

Plants Tolerant of Juglone

Vegetables: cabbage, eggplant, pepper, potato, tomato

Vegetables: lima beans; snap beans; beets; corn; onions; parsnips; melons; carrots; squash; beets;

Fruits: apple, blackberry, blueberry

Fruits: Black raspberry, Peach, Nectarine, Cherry, Plum, Pear

Landscape plants: black alder (Alnus); azalea; basswood; white birches; Hopa crabapple*; hackberry; Amur honeysuckle; Japanese larch; lespedeza; lilac; saucer magnolia; silver maple; mountain laurel; loblolly pine; red pine; scotch pine; white pine; potentilla; privet; rhododendron; Norway spruce

Landscape plants: red cedar; crabapple*; elm; winged euonymus; forsythia; hawthorn; hemlock; hickories; black locust; most maples; oaks; autumn olive; pachysandra; pawpaw; persimmon; wild rose; sycamore; most viburnums; Virginia creeper

Flowers & herbaceous plants: autumn crocus (Colchichum); peony

Flowers & herbaceous plants: bluebells; Kentucky bluegrass; daffodil; daylily; ferns; fescue; iris; Jack-in-the-pulpit; liriope; narcissus; phlox; poison ivy; Shasta daisy; trillium

Field crops: alfalfa; crimson clover; tobacco

Field crops: white clover; red top grass; orchard grass; soybean; timothy; wheat

*Published sources contradictory on crabapple's sensitivity to juglone.