homestead - Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 17:58:02 -0800

Anything in the nightshade family is very, very quickly negatively effected. Apple trees and general anything in the azalea family. There are lots more but those are the ones badly (dead as the result) affected.

Some plants actually like it, such as some grasses. And some are o.k.

It is my understanding that juglone is in all parts of the tree, so as
the leaves and fruits fall and decompose, you release limited amounts of
it into the soil, with the heaviest concentration logically under the
tree. I'd bet that only downwind/downslope plants are affected, where
the leaves fall.. probably in very windy locations, there is minimal
effect, only from roots, and that might be why some folks don't seem to
have as many issues as others. I have black walnuts in my pasture and
grass grows under them the same as the neighboring poplars. There is a
persimmon which always fruits heavy within 20 feet of the walnut..what
plants again did you say were affected?